ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – A driver has been arrested for a deadly hit ad run on Monday night in Albuquerque. Police were dispatched to westbound I-40 and Coors around 7 p.m. after a man was found laying dead in the road.
One witness says she tried to get drivers to stop when she noticed the body and that several vehicles struck it. Shortly afterward, police say 911 received a call from James Byrnes who admitted to being the driver who first hit the individual.
Later that evening, police went to Byrnes home to talk to him and say they found his car with severe damage including a shattered windshield but he refused to speak to officers any further. He is charged with leaving the scene of an accident resulting in death.
Latest Local News
- New CYFD location expected to save millions in annual leasing payments
- What’s happening around New Mexico April 23 – April 29
- Homicide investigation begins after woman found dead in southeast Albuquerque
- ABQ BioPark to get an animal ambassador
- 1 in custody after shots fired in Marble Brewery parking lot