ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – State police have released the names of all five passengers killed in Saturday morning’s fatal hot air balloon crash. Along with Martin and Mary Martinez is the pilot, Nicholas Meleski – who is known for his “Izia” balloon, seen at Balloon Fiesta every year. Meleski got his license in 1994.
- Balloon pilot remembered for his unique, positive personality
- Hot air balloon crash victims all had ties to Albuquerque Public Schools
- Vigil held for victims of Saturday’s hot air balloon crash
- Several bystanders try to help victims in hot air balloon crash
- Saturday’s balloon crash marks 4th deadly crash in over a decade
- 2 victims identified in Saturday’s hot air balloon crash
- Fifth victim dies in SW Albuquerque hot air balloon crash, cause under investigation
- Painting honors the five lives lost in last month’s hot air balloon crash
Susan and John Montoya, both from Albuquerque, also died in the crash. John was taken to the hospital after the crash, where he later died. Police say that the balloon descended toward the ground and struck an overhead powerline and that’s when the basket detached from the envelope and burst into flames.