ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – Prosecutors are firing back after an accused child killer asked to get out of jail to escape the coronavirus. They say the suspect is such a slob, he’d end up being a coronavirus risk to other people if he got out.
Leland Hust wants out of the Sandoval County Jail because of COVID-19 fears. The district attorney’s office says during the investigation into the rape and murder of six-year-old Ariana Romeo in Rio Rancho, they found Hust’s bedroom was quote, “particularity dirty and unsanitary” and that Hust went days without bathing and slept in a bed he constantly urinated in.
Prosecutors say while they agree COVID-19 is a serious matter, releasing Hust to stay with his elderly grandparents would put them at risk.
New Mexico Coronavirus Resources
- Tracking Coronavirus in New Mexico
- Tracking Coronavirus in Navajo Nation
- Trendline Charts: New Mexico Coronavirus Cases by County, by Day
- COVID-19 case by state, global statistics, maps
- COVID-19 Projections: when will coronavirus be over?
- COVID-19 Testing Sites
- New Mexico’s Public Health Emergency Order
- Essential & Non-Essential Business Operations
- Phone numbers, websites to know during COVID-19
- Donate Blood
- Job changes due to coronavirus – Here’s what you need to know
- Jobs: These businesses are looking to hire due to coronavirus
- How to help during coronavirus
- Resource for New Mexico Seniors
- New Mexico School Meal Sites