ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – Two military working dogs, Baxi and Garbo retired from service at Kirtland Air Force Base. Garbo is an eight-year-old Belgian Malinois. He’s serviced since 2011 working patrol and in explosives. Baxi is an eight-year-old German Shephard that detected drugs during investigations. He got to Kirtland in 2016.
Story continues below:
- Crime: Albuquerque man vandalized brewery; tries to escape with meat and cheese
- Don’t Miss: Riders say transit system needs better schedule, more routes as free fares begin
- Education: Some New Mexico schools named National Blue Ribbon School
- National: La Plata County man caught after escape from jail
- KRQE en Espanol: KRQE En Español: Miercoles 22 de Septiembre 2021
Friday morning, there was a ceremony to honor their service. “He was inside a burning car. We got him out and he still did his job flawlessly. So Baxi and I have been through quite a lot together,” said dog handler Sgt. Matthew Mead.
Both dogs will spend retirement with their handlers.