ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – The man who caused a crash that killed a 12-year-old took a plea deal. Estevan Chavez pleaded no contest to two felony charges.
Story continues below:
- Jobs: City of Albuquerque still trying to fill vacancies; hiring bonuses continue
- Vaccine: Vaccination deadline looms for NM university students, faculty, and staff
- Education: APS seeing a rise in violence and bad behavior among students
- Marijuana: High potency marijuana and possible impact on New Mexico teens
- KRQE en Espanol: KRQE en Espanol: Miercoles 17 de Septiembre 2021
Police say he was driving more than 100 miles an hour on 528 in Rio Rancho last summer when he hit another car, killing a passenger. Atencio’s cousin was driving and was badly injured.
Under the plea deal, prosecutors dropped three charges against Chavez. He faces up to 12 years behind bars when sentenced.