ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – The Bernalillo County Sheriff’s Office and fire department will be presenting its second annual Fallen Heroes 9/11 Memorial Saturday. The event will starts at 6:46 a.m., the time in Albuquerque that the first plane crashed into the north tower of the World Trade Center.
Story continues below:
- Crime: Albuquerque man vandalized brewery; tries to escape with meat and cheese
- Don’t Miss: Riders say transit system needs better schedule, more routes as free fares begin
- Education: Some New Mexico schools named National Blue Ribbon School
- National: La Plata County man caught after escape from jail
- KRQE en Espanol: KRQE En Español: Miercoles 22 de Septiembre 2021
The memorial will continue marking each of the major events of the day ending at 12:29 p.m. which marks 343 minutes from the start of the ceremony. Bernalillo County honor guards will stand watch over 343 sets of firefighter gear in remembrance of the firefighters and 71 law enforcement officers who died that day.
“It’s real important for the country as a whole but real important for the fire service to make sure that we’re honoring that sacrifice that those public servants in New York gave on what was the worst day,” said Zach Lardy, deputy chief Bernalillo County Fire.
The event will take place at Alvarado Square and will also be live-streamed on the Bernalillo County Fire Department Facebook page.