ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – The best green chile cheeseburgers in the state were highlighted at the New Mexico State Fair on Monday. Chefs from four restaurants: Oso Grill, High Point Grill, Big Mike’s Burgers and Laguna Burger fired up the grill to try to prove they had the best burger.
Story continues below:
- Business: San Mateo retail center getting revitalized with movie theater, restaurants
- Don’t Miss: City of Albuquerque opens affordable pet care clinic
- Education: Rio Rancho school board candidate defends email to parents
- Marijuana: High potency marijuana and possible impact on New Mexico teens
- KRQE en Espanol: KRQE en Espanol: Miercoles 17 de Septiembre 2021
A panel of judges including KRQE News 13’s David Romero sampled burgers in a blind taste test to pick the one that reigned supreme. “This is the like the testament, the true testament of being a real New Mexican. First of all, you got good meat. You got good chile. You got all the combinations, the cheese on top of it. How can you beat that? This is what signifies the state fair,” said Romero.
Oso Grill from Capitan won their third green chile cheeseburger title. They also won the people’s choice award for the fourth year in a row. The owner says they’ve got their burger down to a science adding it’s all in the green chile.
“We use two different types of green chile. We use a hotter, diced green chile that goes directly next to the meat. Then we also deep fry green chile strips.. we bread and deep fry those and put them on top of the cheese. So it has an added crunch and texture to it,” said Brian Cleckler, owner of Oso Grill.
Big Mike’s Burgers from Belen took home second place.