ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – One University of New Mexico graduate student is making her mark on the music world. Renata Yazzie is one of the few female Native American students in the UNM music department with a focus on playing and composing for the piano.
She explores classical music while working to incorporate her Diné heritage. She recently began a scholarship, the American Indian Musicians’ Scholarship that aims to provide financial support for Native students studying music at the post-secondary level.
Latest New Mexico News:
- What’s the criminal record like for those involved with the Red River shooting?
- Unser Racing Museum officially closes its doors
- Santa Fe to hold city auction in mid-June
- New Mexicans gather to honor those who served for 2023 Memorial Day
- Three released from custody for crimes related to malnourished woman’s death