ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – One University of New Mexico graduate student is making her mark on the music world. Renata Yazzie is one of the few female Native American students in the UNM music department with a focus on playing and composing for the piano.
She explores classical music while working to incorporate her Diné heritage. She recently began a scholarship, the American Indian Musicians’ Scholarship that aims to provide financial support for Native students studying music at the post-secondary level.
Latest New Mexico News:
- New Mexico man ends trial, admits killing wife, 4 daughters
- UNM awarded millions for drinking, wastewater projects
- New Mexico public schools must continue wearing masks
- Congressional District 1 early voting begins Saturday
- ACLU, Immigrant Law Center suing Torrance Co. after detained immigrants pepper-sprayed