ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – One University of New Mexico graduate student is making her mark on the music world. Renata Yazzie is one of the few female Native American students in the UNM music department with a focus on playing and composing for the piano.
She explores classical music while working to incorporate her Diné heritage. She recently began a scholarship, the American Indian Musicians’ Scholarship that aims to provide financial support for Native students studying music at the post-secondary level.
Latest New Mexico News:
- Carlsbad NMSU branch campus could change to community college
- New Mexico AG takes over high profile murder case
- NM House of Reps. work on COVID-safe rules for 2021 legislature
- Police still seek persons of interest in murder at Santa Fe apartment complex
- San Juan County police sergeant shaves head for a good cause