Community volunteers renovate Albuquerque home following fire

Albuquerque News

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – Dozens of volunteers came together to put an Albuquerque couple back in their home after a devastating fire. Back in November, Albuquerque Fire Rescue responded to a fire at a home near I-25 and Cesar Chavez.

The people living there did not know how they were going to get back on their feet. So volunteers from AFR, Albuquerque Police Department, Solid Waste, and the community stepped in to make the 100-year-old house, not only livable but better than ever.

Seven months later, they presented the couple with a completely renovated home complete with new walls, floors, cabinets, bathrooms, and more. They also replaced the wiring and windows. “I’m just so thankful for them. They didn’t have to do this, but somehow, they just were there. I wasn’t expecting, I was just trying to figure out, ‘What am I going to do?'” said homeowner Wesley Brown.

Many local retailers and construction firms also donated supplies and expertise. Those behind the project say around 60 people had a hand in the makeover. “People recognized that someone needed help and they showed up to do it. Nobody said ‘I could be somewhere else,'” said APD officer Hence Williams III.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Video

Now Trending on KRQE.com

New Mexico Hourly Forecasts ⟶

Albuquerque Hourly Forecast

Don't Miss

MORE IN DON'T MISS

Photo Galleries

MORE PHOTO GALLERIES

News Resources - Maps

MORE NEWS RESOURCES