ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – Recycling dos and don’ts. A lot of people are unsure of what they can put in their blue bin. Keep Albuquerque Beautiful is working to show people what is allowed, to cut back on contamination.
Story continues below:
- Crime: Albuquerque man vandalized brewery; tries to escape with meat and cheese
- Don’t Miss: Riders say transit system needs better schedule, more routes as free fares begin
- Education: Some New Mexico schools named National Blue Ribbon School
- National: La Plata County man caught after escape from jail
- KRQE en Espanol: KRQE En Español: Martes 21 de Septiembre 2021
According to the city, the number of people recycling went up during the pandemic. Last year, between April and December the city says they saw a 10% increase, but they say about 35% of the items placed in the recycling bin are actually trash.
Six months ago, the Solid Waste Department launched a new video series called Talkin’ Trash Tuesdays to highlight the dos and don’ts of recycling. In one of the more recent videos, the Solid Waste Department reminds people to throw trash bags in the garbage.
The city says they’ll continue finding new ways to educate residents about what you can and cannot recycle. They also have a ‘Recycle Coach App,’ that will help people understand what goes where.