BioPark’s Siamang Johore dies of bacterial infection

Albuquerque News

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – Another one of Albuquerque BioPark‘s siamang has died from a bacterial infection. The BioPark says Johore died Tuesday from complications of the Shigella bacteria. This is now the third primate at the BioPark to die from the bacteria.


Related coverage


Johore’s mate, Brian, was the first to die from the infection. They have two sons, Eerie and Rue, who are showing symptoms but are being cared for.

BioPark officials say the infection mostly affects siamangs. Right now, the BioPark says two chimpanzees are showing symptoms and also Hasani the gorilla. Huerfanita, a 48-year-old lowland gorilla died. The BioPark says the infection has been speaking among the primate since early August.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Video

Now Trending on KRQE.com

New Mexico Hourly Forecasts ⟶

Albuquerque Hourly Forecast

Don't Miss

MORE IN DON'T MISS

Photo Galleries

MORE PHOTO GALLERIES

News Resources - Maps

MORE NEWS RESOURCES