ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – The BioPark is grieving the death of one of its chimpanzees. They announced on Monday that Thunder died because of the Shigella Bacteria. The 22-year-old chimpanzee passed away on Saturday.
Story continues below
- Albuquerque: Albuquerque approves first Safe Outdoor Space on Menaul and I-25
- New Mexico: Aerial seeding and mulching to begin on wildfire burn scar
- Crime: Rio Rancho police detain person after officer shoots in stolen SUV stop
- KRQE En Español: Jueves 11 de Agosto 2022
The BioPark says he started showing signs of gastrointestinal illness. They say that no other chimpanzees are showing signs of the infection but are being closely monitored. This was the same virus that infected Eerie the Siamang last year.