ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – The Albuquerque BioPark says its ape community is on the upswing after battling a bacteria for more than two months. The Shigella bacteria killed four primates in August and September and infected several more.
- BioPark staff, visitors heartbroken over apes who died from bacterial infection
- Siamang Rue loses fight against Shigella
- ABQ BioPark’s Brian the Siamang dies from bacterial infection
- ABQ BioPark’s Huerfanita the gorilla dies
- BioPark gorillas and orangutans recovering from infection
All of the zoo’s orangutans, chimpanzees and gorillas are back on exhibit and interacting with each other while being tested weekly for the bacteria. The one surviving siamang is moving to another zoo so he can be with his own kind.