ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – The Albuquerque Police Department and Albuquerque Fire Rescue evacuated the Smith’s on Coors and Central after an explosion Thursday afternoon. Tom Ruiz, an AFR public information officer, says the explosion was the result of two HVAC specialists working on the HVAC system. The two Smith’s employees were transported to the University of New Mexico hospital and sustained burns and blast injuries and are in critical condition.

Ruiz says no toxic gas was released into the air during the incident. He says the reason they evacuated the building, and neighboring businesses and kept people out for a while was out of an abundance of caution.

This is a developing story and details are limited at this time. KRQE News 13 will update this story as more information becomes available.