ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – The Albuquerque Police Department says a fight between neighbors in Taylor Ranch Monday night led to an officer-involved shooting.
Police say they were called around 8 p.m. to a home after a dispute between neighbors. The home was near Golf Course and Taylor Ranch Road. Police say the original caller advised them a neighbor had pointed a firearm at him.
Officers say during their investigation they discovered one neighbor had some type of weapon and then an altercation ensued. At least one officer opened fire, shooting and killing that neighbor, Jose Vallejos.
“Officers were given the information that one of the neighbors was armed with a firearm and to compound the problem, there was a child that was positioned between the two feuding neighbors,” said Dep. Chief Harold Medina.
Investigators say they’re trying to piece together what prompted the officer to shoot. Currently, police are interviewing witnesses and are expected to release more details about the shooting Tuesday.
- New Mexico Tech hosts annual President’s Golf Tournament
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s family friend reflects on her life, legacy
- Biden reacts to death of Justice Ginsburg, rejects quick vote on her successor
- Bike to Work Week goes virtual
- New Mexico officials respond to the passing of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg