ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – The Albuquerque Police Department says a fight between neighbors in Taylor Ranch Monday night led to an officer-involved shooting.
Police say they were called around 8 p.m. to a home after a dispute between neighbors. The home was near Golf Course and Taylor Ranch Road. Police say the original caller advised them a neighbor had pointed a firearm at him.
Officers say during their investigation they discovered one neighbor had some type of weapon and then an altercation ensued. At least one officer opened fire, shooting and killing that neighbor, Jose Vallejos.
“Officers were given the information that one of the neighbors was armed with a firearm and to compound the problem, there was a child that was positioned between the two feuding neighbors,” said Dep. Chief Harold Medina.
Investigators say they’re trying to piece together what prompted the officer to shoot. Currently, police are interviewing witnesses and are expected to release more details about the shooting Tuesday.
- APD shuts down part of Central for motorcycle crash investigation
- Bills fans donate to Lamar Jackson’s favorite charity following QB’s injury
- Bills advance to AFC championship with 17-3 win over Ravens
- Rodgers, Packers beat Rams 32-18 to reach NFC title game
- Couple married 67 years receives COVID vaccine after diagnosis forced them apart