ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – An Albuquerque mother and father are dead after police shot a man, they say, killed his own wife. The woman was found shot to death near San Pedro and Lomas early Monday morning. The Albuquerque Police Department quickly identified her estranged husband as Matthew Montoya, as the suspect.
Detectives learned Montoya then went to his child’s school to check his child out of class. “Diligent school staff were aware of conflicts between family members and denied the suspect getting access to his minor child,” said officials at a news conference.
After that, Montoya drove to a home near Comanche and Tramway. That’s where detectives caught up with him Monday afternoon and opened fire, killing him.
At this point, APD is not revealing the events leading up to that shooting or any details about Montoya’s past. APD says they don’t know if Montoya ever fired at officers or if he even had a weapon on him. Police say no officers were hurt.
Latest Local News
- City seeks artists for Martin Luther King Jr. memorial mural
- Grant Chapel hosts annual MLK celebration virtually
- Health alert issued for Albuquerque due to blowing dust
- Check your ticket: $1M Powerball winning ticket sold in New Mexico
- Community provides resources, assistance to family after 3-year-old paralyzed following COVID-19