ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – Albuquerque Police Department reports that accidental shootings rose in 2020. Officers responded to 44 of those calls last year, compared to 38 in 2019. Some involved owners cleaning their guns, while in other cases, people were drunk when they shot themselves. APD reminds people to exercise gun safety and urges owners to use gun locks when not in use.
APD says firearms should be stored in a gun safe and it’s best to keep ammunition in a place away from firearms. They also say experienced gun owners forget steps like ensuring the magazine has been removed from the firearm and visually inspecting the chamber to make sure no rounds have been left inside.
- 25th year of Downtown Growers’ Market kicks off
- Month-long city cleanup initiative focuses on each quadrant separately
- One suspect dead in northwest Albuquerque officer-involved shooting
- Two shootings near Menaul and Big-I under investigation
- Local postal service worker under investigation for TikToks about homeless people