City officials discussed the steps the City of Albuquerque will be taking in order to protect open spaces. Over the last month, there have been a string of fires in Albuquerque’s bosque and officials are considering restrictions throughout the summer amid a bleak outlook for the Rio Grande’s flow.
The following fire restrictions are in place for all city-owned open space areas:
- No campfires or stove fires; no camping
- No smoking
- No fireworks or other pyrotechnic devices
- No off-roading
- No operating a chainsaw or other equipment powered by an internal or external combustion engine
- No operating spark-emitting equipment
- No welding or operating an acetylene or other torch with an open flame
Each violation shall be punishable by a fine of not more than $500 or by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or by both such fine and imprisonment.