ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – A group for Albuquerque is getting national recognition for its work helping veterans during the pandemic. The Air Force Sergeants Association chapter from Kirtland Air Force Base has been named the 2020 Small Chapter of the Year.
Story continues below:
- Investigation: What happens after someone attacks a healthcare worker?
- Don’t Miss: New Mexico native recognized in Bon Appétit Magazine for Brooklyn restaurant
- Weird: Man once accused of having sex with horse now accused of escape from jail
- KRQE en Espanol: KRQE En Español: Viernes 23 de Septiembre 2021
- Crime: FBI investigates Albuquerque couple for bank robbery
The honor mentions the group’s launch of its “Shopping Angels” program in which they brought and delivered groceries for elderly and immunocompromised veterans.
The nonprofit also started other initiatives it plans to continue beyond the pandemic. They plan to build homes for veterans and pay for cremation services. “The Kirtland Federal Credit Union, they awarded us a grant for us to be able to fund those different projects for veterans, so at this point, we’re identifying veterans in need,” said Mary Hefferon, AFSA Chapter 1201 president.
Veterans in need of help can reach out to AFSA Chapter 1201.