AFR: Unattended cooking food cause of fire in UNM dorm

Albuquerque News

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – A fire was caused by someone who left food cooking in their dorm at the University of New Mexico on Tuesday morning. Around 9 a.m. someone reported smoke coming from a third-floor window of the student residence center.

Albuquerque Fire Rescue says the sprinkler system kicked on, extinguishing the fire. Officials say the person living in the unit wasn’t there when the fire started.

“A quick reminder to everybody, please don’t leave food unattended on the stove. That’s the number one cause for residential house fires,” said AFR Lt. Tom Ruiz.

Three rooms sustained heavy water damage in the incident.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Video

Now Trending on KRQE.com

Albuquerque Hourly Forecast

Don't Miss

MORE IN DON'T MISS

Photo Galleries

MORE PHOTO GALLERIES

News Resources

MORE NEWS RESOURCES