ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – Bernalillo County is opening four of its eight community centers and offering all-day care for school-aged children.
According to a news release, the Bernalillo County Parks, Recreation and Open Space Department will provide a safe environment for kids to log-on and access schoolwork. They will also provide breakfast, lunch and possibly dinner at the centers.
“We’ve been getting calls since March since, you know, this whole pandemic hit. We’ve been getting calls. And so, we have those community families who really need our service,” Chamar Garrison, Events Coordinator at Bernalillo County Parks, Recreation and Open Space Department, said. “We’re trying to keep everyone safe, including our staff. But, it’s time to open and help out our community members who have gone back to work and who need that all daycare for their children.”
The daycare will also give supervised breaks to students throughout the day.
“To provide that much-needed recreation and running around time. And we’ve designed all of our centers that are opening, we have four centers that are opening, we’ve designed them to where we have COVID-safe activities,” Garrison said.
While the community centers are set to open Monday, the county is still working on making sure there is strong enough wifi at its facilities for students to do their school work.
“It’s an ongoing challenge with, you know technology and wifi,” Garrison said. “We are working close with APS, they’re going to be providing their wifi buses and I know the county is working on getting us all wifi at our centers.”
Garrison said APS will be providing its buses with wifi until the county gets its community centers equipped with wifi.
The all-day childcare programs start Monday, Sept. 21 from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. It also costs $60 per week. Parents should call the center by Friday, Sept. 18 about availability. As of Tuesday afternoon, the county said there is plenty of room at all locations.
- Westside Community Center – 505-314-0176
- 1250 Isleta Blvd. SW 87105
- Paradise Hills Community Center – 505-314-0245
- 5901 Paradise Hills Blvd. NW 87114
- Raymond G. Sanchez Community Center – 505-468-7800
- 9800 4th St. NW 87114
- Los Vecinos Communtiy Center – 505-314-0240
- 478 ½ Old Hwy. 66, Tijeras NM, 87059
A minimum of 15 registered participants is needed for each location to host all-day care. Also, if numbers at any location are below 15, programs will be combined at one location. The program costs $60 per child per week.
- WATCH LIVE: BCFD responds to structure fire on Edith
- Gun and ammo shortage looms as hunting season approaches
- Man charged with rape after 13-year-old girl taken from Nashville Walmart
- Man charged with killing wife in Holden, Missouri after 4 prior domestic reports
- Camp BioPark offers students opportunity to learn outside of virtual classroom