ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – A young pilot on her way to setting a world record made a stop in Albuquerque Thursday. Zara Rutherford, 19, is working to become the youngest woman ever to fly solo around the world.
Story continues below:
- Business: San Mateo retail center getting revitalized with movie theater, restaurants
- Don’t Miss: City of Albuquerque opens affordable pet care clinic
- Education: Rio Rancho school board candidate defends email to parents
- Marijuana: High potency marijuana and possible impact on New Mexico teens
- KRQE en Espanol: KRQE en Espanol: Miercoles 17 de Septiembre 2021
The native of Belgium hopes her journey will especially inspire girls to get into aviation and STEM subjects. She says the experience is already making her bolder and more confident as she encounters unexpected adventures along the way. “I was in an earthquake three days ago in Mexico. I was really expecting this trip to be dangerous in the air, not on the ground. luckily that was completely fine,” Rutherford said.
Rutherford plans to visit 52 countries on five continents in 12 weeks.