NEW MEXICO (KRQE) – Cold weather calls for a hot chocolate. Inspired by wintery weather, Yelp compiled a list of the “top” 20 places to order a cup of hot chocolate in the United States based on ratings and reviews from its “Yelpers.”
Kakawa Chocolate House in Santa Fe was named No. 2 in Yelps ‘Top 25 places for hot chocolate across the U.S. and Canada.’ The business, now with multiple locations in Santa Fe, has become a local favorite.
Yelp included three businesses per state for the geographic. They identified businesses through reviews that mentioned the word ‘hot chocolate.’ Yelp then ranked those spots using several factors, including the total volume and ratings of reviews mentioning ‘hot chocolate,’ between January 1, 2022 – November 22, 2022.
Kakawa Chocolate House was established in 2006. According to their website, their recipes are inspired by the ancient Mayan, Aztec, Old European, and colonial America. The owner, Tony B, moved to Santa Fe with his wife and business partner from New York to build a customer-centric business. The name Kakawa (ka-Ka-wa) is an Olmec word meaning cacao or chocolate.
Kakawa Chocolate House also offers ice cream, sorbet, and bagged elixirs as well as other drinks like horchata.
Below are the “Top 20 places for hot chocolate across the U.S” according to Yelp:
1. Ginger Elizabeth Chocolates – Sacramento, California
2. Kakawa Chocolate House – Santa Fe, New Mexico
3. Chocolate Museum & Cafe – Orlando, Florida
4. Rey Amargo Chocolate Shop – Seattle, Washington
5. 1927 S’mores Company – Portland, Oregon
6. La Panadería – San Antonio, Texas
7. The Chocolate Dragon Bittersweet Cafe & Bakery – Oakland, California
8. Amara Chocolate & Coffee – Pasadena, California
9. Coffee Call – Baton Rouge, Louisiana
10. Café y Chocolate – Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
11. Roste Chocolate House – Portland, Oregon
12. Rev Coffee – Smyrna, Georgia
13. The Bent Spoon – Princeton, New Jersey
14. Newyorktitlan – Brooklyn, New York
15. Katherine Anne Confections – Chicago, Illinois
16. The Frosty Barrel – Newcastle, Washington
17. Hatch Family Chocolates – Salt Lake City, Utah
18. French Broad Chocolate Lounge – Asheville, North Carolina
19. The Hot Chocolatier – Chattanooga, Tennessee
20. Hot Chocolate Sparrow – Orleans, Massachusetts