- APS unveils at-home ‘Continuous Learning Plan’ in response to COVID-19 outbreak
- FAQ: What you need to know about Chromebook distribution for APS students
Distance Learning Tips
From Jennifer Luna, Director of Curriculum, Assessment and Teacher Development
- Set up a work space for your student to complete assignments.
- Create a schedule and stick to it. Plan for study time (online and offline), breaks and recreation time.
- Create a list of assignments to complete. If due dates are several days away, break down the assignment into chunks to complete a little each day.
- Check off the assignment on the to-do list once completed.
- Small study sessions over time is best. Long study sessions lead to fatigue and do not allow for students to process the information into long term memory.
- Don’t spend long hours studying just one subject.
- To keep your mind fresh, switch between subjects periodically.
- ABQ Museum is offering free, printable coloring pages
- Something Sweet is offering sugar cookie decorating kits
Here’s a list of free educational resources and activities for children that are stuck at home during the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Accessibyte is offering free access to all of their learning apps during the pandemic including Typio and Quick Cards
- Arcademics offers free multiplayer educational games for math and language arts
- Cool Math 4 Kids offers free games, quizzes and lessons in math for younger students
- Explorable offers free educational science projects including how to make sun dials and how bread decays
- Fun Family Crafts offers free educational crafting ideas from toddler to teen including crystal egg geodes and coffee ground fossils
- Minecraft: Education Edition offers free educational tools and videos when you have a Microsoft account.
- OH WOW Science Center offers free educational videos and projects on their Facebook
- Science Fun offers educational science projects fro kids including black light beverages and the water cycle in a jar
- Sesame Street offers free online learning games and videos for young students
- From 3-5 p.m. on March 27 Scholastic is offering a free Virtual Book Fest on their website with guest speakers and a dance party!
- The Magic School Bus offers free online learning, experiments and an educational cartoon available on Netflix
- 123 Homeschool 4 Me offers free worksheets and coloring pages for young students
- 3P Learning is offering 4 weeks free for teachers who would like to teach their students from home (ages K-16)
- 2Simple offers a free learning program called Purple Mash to help teach students english and math skills
- All Kids Network is offering free worksheets and crafts for students
- Ascend Math is offering a free trial for teachers until the end of April so they can teach math skills from home
- Audible is offering a free 30-day trial on audiobooks for kids
- Big History Project offers a free platform for teachers to teach social studied from home
- Classroom Cereal offers free grammar worksheets for students
- Desmos offers free activities for teachers to use with students online and teach from home
- DiscoveryK12 offers free student accounts to learn 7 standard courses online
- NASA is offering their entire library free online for students
- New American History offers history lesson plans for students K-12
- NSW-Education is offering free online learning resources and study tips for students and parents learning at home including links to educational games
- PBS offers Everyday Learning opportunities for online learning (ages PreK-13)
- ReadWorks offers free reading comprehension activities for students K-12
- Scholastic offers free online learning, educational games and reading resources for kids and parents
- Scholastic Kids Press offers free news from kids, for kids
- The New York Public Library is offering free e-tutoring services and over 300,000 e-books for download on the SimplyE app
- Teacher.org has put together a list of lesson plans for math, science, english, social studies and even P.E.
- The Public Library of Youngstown and Mahoning County is offering free educational resources and e-books
- Disney World offers a free virtual tour of the park on Google
- Elmwood Park Zoo is offering free educational Facebook livestreams
- Explore offers free livestreams and videos from all over the world
- Google Earth is offering free virtual tours of National Parks
- Legoland offers a free virtual tour of their Lego Hotel
- The Louvre offers free virtual museum tours
- NASA offers free virtual tours including Ohio’s own Glenn Research Center
- Seaworld Orlando offers a free interactive virtual tour of their park
- The Cincinatti Zoo offers free livestreams and educational videos
- The National Aquarium offers several free livestreams of the world’s coral reefs
- The National Women’s History Museum offers a free virtual tour and educational resources
- The Smithsonian’s National Museum offers a free virtual tour
- The Smithsonian’s National Zoo offers the Panda Cam livestream and educational lesson plans
- the Van Gogh Museum offers a free virtual tour on Google
- Wild Earth offers free educational videos and livestreams in the African Safari