SANTA FE, N.M. (KRQE) – The Cabinet Secretary of the New Mexico Department of Health announced Thursday new guidelines for healthcare practitioners regarding non-essential surgeries. The abridged health care order is in compliance with Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham’s announcement she would be relaxing business restrictions throughout the state.
Secretary Kathyleen Kunkel stated doctors may gradually resume operations in compliance with NMDOH guidelines made available on their website. A facility must have proven past compliance with all current public health emergency orders as well as continue to comply with them. They will also have to report daily to the NMDOH regarding their PPE supply, hospital bed availability, ventilator availability, and hospital capacity of behavioral health beds.
Facilities will also have to properly report airway medication pharmaceutical supplies, demonstrate full implementation of PPE conservation and decontamination procedures, and report daily COVID testing activity where applicable.
Health Care Services, Procedures, and Surgeries are permitted but must adhere to the following:
- Complying with the instructions in “Medically Necessary Surgery and Procedural Guidelines”
- Reporting daily to the Department via the HAvBED system regarding:
- PPE supply
- Hospital bed availability of general medical/surgery beds, ICU beds, and ventilators by type
- Hospital capacity of behavioral health beds
- Cooperating with Department requirements for reporting of airway medication management pharmaceutical supplies
- Demonstrating full implementation of PPE conservation and decontamination strategies
- Reporting daily COVID testing activity via the Department’s website (where applicable)
- Using the Department’s Centralized Call Center for any transfers of COVID-19 patients
- Restricting visitors in healthcare settings during a state of emergency
- Maintaining an adequate staffing plan to support inpatient facilities as a first priority (where applicable)
New Mexico Coronavirus Resources
- Tracking Coronavirus in New Mexico
- COVID-19 Projections: when will coronavirus be over?
- COVID-19 Testing Sites
- FAQ on ‘Stay-at-Home’ order
- Essential Businesses
- Phone numbers, websites to know during COVID-19
- New Mexico School Closings: What you need to know
- Donate Blood
- Job changes due to coronavirus – Here’s what you need to know
- Jobs: These businesses are looking to hire due to coronavirus
- How to help during coronavirus
- Resource for New Mexico Seniors
- New Mexico School Meal Sites