NEW MEXICO (KRQE) – The New Mexico State Police addressed rumors Friday regarding law enforcement making traffic stops to determine if a person is an essential worker or if their travel is essential.
State police reiterated that no law enforcement agent is making traffic stops to ensure the public or their travel is considered essential. They say New Mexicans can leave their house while following the guidelines of the Emergency Public Health Order, which prohibits mass gatherings and says that groups can be no larger than five people and you must maintain a six-foot distance between others.
“Our goal as a law enforcement agency is to protect those communities and the state in which we live. We are in this together and keeping everyone healthy is all our responsibility,” said Chief of the New Mexico State Police Tim Johnson.
Sheriff Gonzales of the Bernalillo County Sheriff’s Office echoed a similar sentiment Friday as BCSO also will not be stopping motorists for compliance of the stay-at-home order. “We remain laser-focused on combating Albuquerque’s crime crisis by targeting the violent offenders, property thieves, and career criminals roaming the streets of Albuquerque seeking to prey on our children, families, and businesses during this time of national crisis,” Gonzales said in a statement.
Earlier Friday, Las Cruces Police addressed similar rumors. The Los Lunas Police Department also announced they would not pull over citizens for the sole purpose of verifying employment compliance.
New Mexico Coronavirus Resources
- Tracking Coronavirus in New Mexico: Latest # of Presumptive Positive Cases
- COVID-19 Testing Sites – New Mexico
- State Stay-at-Home ordered issued because of Coronavirus – New Mexico closures
- FAQ: What you need to know about the New Mexico ‘Stay-at-Home’ order
- New Mexico School Closings: What you need to know
- Job changes due to coronavirus – Here’s what you need to know
- Jobs: These businesses are looking to hire due to coronavirus
- How to help people in need during coronavirus outbreak
- Resource for New Mexico Seniors
- New Mexico School Meal Sites – Complete List
- Schools, Colleges, University open/closed because of Coronavirus – New Mexico