ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – A local gym is working to raise thousands of dollars for food pantries. Orangetheory Fitness New Mexico is inviting the public to participate in its “Orange You Ready for a 5K?” event.
It’s a virtual run, meaning participants pay the $25 registration fee online and run 3.1 miles any time in May.
“Clearly we can’t all be together,” Orangetheory Fitness New Mexico Owner Lorraine Higgins said about the original in-person race that was canceled amid the pandemic. “Since we couldn’t be together as a team, we thought, ‘Let’s raise some money for people that need it.'”
Their goal is to raise at least $7,500. All of the proceeds will go to the St. Felix Food Pantry in Albuquerque and the Food Depot in Santa Fe.
“These two [pantries] are definitely underserved. Some of the big names get a lot of help and a lot of assistance. These are just smaller and need a bit of extra love,” said Orangetheory Fitness New Mexico Owner Lorraine Higgins. “There’s so many people that really need help and we know the food banks are hurting.”
New Mexico Coronavirus Resources
- Tracking Coronavirus in New Mexico
- Tracking Coronavirus in Navajo Nation
- Trendline Charts: New Mexico Coronavirus Cases by County, by Day
- COVID-19 case by state, global statistics, maps
- COVID-19 Projections: when will coronavirus be over?
- COVID-19 Testing Sites
- New Mexico’s Public Health Emergency Order
- Essential & Non-Essential Business Operations
- Phone numbers, websites to know during COVID-19
- Donate Blood
- Job changes due to coronavirus – Here’s what you need to know
- Jobs: These businesses are looking to hire due to coronavirus
- How to help during coronavirus
- Resource for New Mexico Seniors
- New Mexico School Meal Sites