SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) - The Federal Emergency Management Agency says disaster aid totaling more than $355,000 is on its way to communities in five New Mexico counties that suffered damages from summer flooding.
The federal public assistance funding is available to Cibola, McKinley, Mora, San Juan and Socorro counties for flooding that occurred between July 25 and Aug. 9.
The FEMA program provides supplemental financial assistance to the state, its agencies, local and tribal governments and some private nonprofit organizations for eligible response and recovery expenses.
State Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management Secretary John Wheeler says officials are working to identify more projects and get more funding approved for the counties.
FEMA reimburses applicants 75 percent of their eligible costs. The state and applicants share the remaining 25 percent.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Dean Staley and Mark Ronchetti with your evening headlines and forecast.
Police responded to a northeast Albuquerque neighborhood where a man believed to be armed was involved in a tense standoff with police.
There was some good news Wednesday. Bernalillo County Sheriff's Deputy Robin Hopkins has started walking again.
Schemers behind fake sweepstakes are accessing personal information and using the legitimacy of well-known names like the Better Business Bureau and the Internal Revenue Service to swindle unsuspecting players out of thousands of dollars.
Twenty-seven teachers from across New Mexico received funds Wednesday to help them educate their students.
Investigators say a fire at an Albuquerque strip mall was intentionally set around 3 a.m. Wednesday on Central near Zuni.