ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) - There are plenty of scammers out there looking for the next person to take for a ride. A very expensive ride that is. Don't let yourself be a victim of Craigslist scams.
- Deal one-on-one and locally with sellers and buyers. Meet them in person, if they're "traveling" wait till they come back or keep on browsing.
- Never ever EVER wire funds, not through Western Union, Moneygram or any other wire service.
- Scammers like to work with cashiers checks & money orders - and while they're fake - banks WILL CASH them and then HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered later on.
- Never give out financial information, this means your bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info etc...)
- Avoid any deals that involve shipping or escrow services and keep out for spammers tagline that they will "Guarantee" your transaction
- Never rent housing without physically seeing the interior - if the alleged renter can not let you see the inside of the home chances are the unit is not actually for rent or does not exist.
- Do not agree to credit checks or background checks for a job or for housing until you have met the landlord/agent in person.
Information provided by Craigslist.
For more information on how to keep yourself safe from scammers and examples of scams visit Craigslist's Scam prevention page.
Police responded to dozens of weather-related crashes in only a matter of hours Sunday.
A small plane crashed at about 8 a.m. Sunday morning on the Canyon Rim Trail near N.M. 502 and the entrance of Los Alamos.
Sunday night in Albuquerque and around the world people gathered for candlelight vigils to remember the loss of their children.
Department of Agriculture officials are warning customers to not get burned when buying firewood.
Church groups, parents and teachers met Sunday at the 20th annual Albuquerque Interfaith Convention. State education reform was their central focus.
Police officers were called out to Lovelace Hospital on Saturday after a patient woke up to find his laptop missing.