DEMING, N.M. (AP) — Police say man who choked on his food while driving caused a chain reaction that led to a fireball exploding over a Walmart in southwestern New Mexico.
The Deming Headlight reports (http://bit.ly/YtpLbN) 61-year-old Robert Sheppard told police he was eating as he drove Saturday in front of the Walmart Superstore in Deming and that he began to choke, causing him to lose control of his pickup truck.
According to police, the pickup, traveling at a "high rate of speed," struck a propane tank attached to a grill.
Witnesses reported seeing a massive fireball that extended over the roof of the store.
Police say three people were injured in the crash.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Two Hobbs men face capital murder charges in Texas after being charged with the death of a woman whose body was dumped in New Mexico.
Thieves broke into an Albuquerque fire station while the firefighters were off helping kids.
UNM athletics is rolling out a new points program to determine which fans get access to The Pit's best seats, postseason tickets and prime parking spots.
A recent Christmas Eve tradition that's become increasingly popular in Santa Fe has been shot down.
Police said a homeowner and his 11-year-old son stopped two burglars dead in their tracks. They walked in on the alleged heist, but weren't about to let the suspected thieves get away with it, and they got creative with the way they …
What happened to one of four local officers shot in a dramatic October chase now has the attention of city, county, and even state lawmakers as they discuss proposing a policy that would ensure she will be the last first responder to get …