NEW YORK (AP) — New York fire marshals say a blaze at a Bronx apartment building that killed three young brothers was started by candles after electricity was cut.
Fire officials say Friday's fire started in a second-floor apartment of a six-story building just blocks from Yankee Stadium. Five-year-old Elijah Artis, 2-year-old Jeremiah Artis and 4-month-old Michael Turner were pronounced dead at a hospital.
Police say their 25-year-old mother and her two other children, a 4-year-old girl and 4-month-old girl, are stable.
Fire marshals said Saturday the fire started in the kitchen and was accidental, but there were no smoke alarms. Con Edison says the power was cut because of unpaid bills.
The building is about 10 blocks from the site of a 2007 fire that killed 10 people, including 8 children.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Three Albuquerque veterans remember vividly the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor that brought the U.S. into World War II 72 years ago Saturday.
After getting out of federal prison early this week it looks like former state Sen. Manny Aragón isn't at a halfway house after all. He's back at his own house in the South Valley.
The owner and an employee of a local smoke shop are in federal custody accused of selling spice at the Rio Rancho store.
The New Mexico State Police officer who fired his weapon at van filled with kids during a traffic stop gone bad has been fired.
The civil case filed against former cop Levi Chavez in the gunshot death of his wife is coming to an end without a trial.
Could there be a serial dog snatcher in Roswell?