SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California officials say inmates have ended their nearly two-month hunger strike to protest the prison system's isolation policies.
Corrections Secretary Jeffrey Beard said in a statement that all inmates began accepting prison-issued meals early Thursday.
Beard says he is pleased the strike ended before any inmate suffered serious injury. A federal judge had given authorities permission to force-feed inmates if necessary to save their lives.
More than 30,000 inmates had been refusing meals when the strike began in early July.
By this week, the number had dwindled to 100 strikers, including 40 who had been on strike continuously since July 8.
The strike ended after two Democratic state legislators promised to hold hearings this fall on inmates' complaints that gang leaders are often held for decades in isolation units.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
While the roads were looking clearer Friday morning in the Albuquerque area, appearances can be deceiving
Today's top headlines with Matt Mauro and Elizabeth Alvarez. Weather with Meteorologist Kristen Van Dyke
In nearly seven decades spent fighting for freedom and equality, Nelson Mandela inspired and challenged the world to stand up for others. As word of Mandela's death spread, current and former presidents, athletes and entertainers, and …
Four and a half years after he went to prison, former state senate leader Manny Aragon is out.
A suspected meth kingpin the FBI thought might be hiding out in New Mexico has been captured.
The popular Capulin Snow Play Area near Sandia Peak will be closed for the second year in a row.