1. Alan Webber will lead New Mexico’s capital city. The city clerk's office announced his victory in the Santa Fe election late last night. The publishing entrepreneur won the mayor's race in the state's first "ranked choice voting" election. This is the first election in which the city used the system because it recently got the necessary equipment. Webber won with a 66 percent majority after four elimination rounds.
Full story: Santa Fe elects Alan Webber as city's new mayor
2. The Bernalillo County District Attorney's office is working with the attorney general to appeal the sentence of a teen who killed his parents and three younger siblings. Nehemiah Griego was sentenced as a juvenile, meaning he is supposed to walk free when he turns 21 in two weeks. Prosecutors with the Bernalillo County DA's office have filed motions that also aim to keep Griego locked up. The state also requested an emergency hearing for both motions to be heard in front of a children's court judge. No date has been set.
3. A cold start to the day with morning temperatures in the single digits, teens and 20s for most.
Full story: Kristen's Wednesday Morning Forecast
4. New Mexico craft brewers are voicing concern over a proposed tariff by the Trump administration. The president is proposing a 25 percent tariff on imported steel and a 10 percent tariff on imported aluminum. A lot of New Mexico craft brewers use aluminum cans to sell their beer. The industry is worth at least 330-million dollars in economic impact in the state. Some breweries worry that the cost of a tariff would have to be passed on to consumers maybe as much as a dollar per six pack.
5. A popular New Mexico art exhibit is sharing its successful journey in a documentary called "Origin Story." the film about Meow Wolf will debut at the SXSW festival in Austin, Texas later this week. The popular event features a combination of film, music, and interactive experiences. The documentary premier comes ahead of the art collective's expansion to Denver and Las Vegas. SXSW starts this Friday and runs until March 13.
Full story: Meow Wolf documentary heads to SXSW in Austin
Morning's Top Stories
- Rio Rancho bonds head for approval
- Multiple fatalities reported after crash on I-25 near Algodones
- Trump economic aide Cohn departs after trade disagreement
- FBI searches for man accused of Albuquerque bank robbery
- Gov. Martinez signs bill setting aside $10M for school security
- Student business accelerator program expands to more New Mexico institutions
- Man who carjacked teen sentenced to 30 years in prison
- New bill increases penalties for those accused of strangulation
- Western New Mexico University hosts annual 'Hoops 4 Hope'
- Sunport officials remind travelers about their parking options
- Utility project restricts traffic on Montgomery between Louisiana, San Mateo