SILVER CITY, N.M. (KRQE) - Attorneys duked it out in court Friday over who gets custody of a flat tire.
It all started last year when Francesca Estevez, the Grant County District Attorney, was caught on camera speeding and weaving along a highway near Silver City.
When police caught up to her, the state-owned car she was driving had blown a tire.
Prosecutors demanded the defense fork over that tire for examination, along with a receipt from when Estevez used government money to replace it.
The defense argued the state had no right to take away its evidence, but Friday a judge ruled the state can take the tire for now and must give it back later.
- DA accused of reckless driving refuses to turn over evidence to prosecutors
- State Supreme Court could handle case against Silver City DA
- DA Francesca Estevez denies reckless driving, ethics charges in statement
- Police chief: No charges against District Attorney Estevez in alleged DWI case
- Police investigating if officers gave county DA a break
----Send a Breaking News TipReport an error or typoLearn about the KRQE apps
US average mortgage rates at 7-year
The Latest: UN chief concerned Kim-Trump