KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — The government spokesman for Congo is accusing neighboring Rwanda and the M23 rebels of preparing more attacks in volatile eastern Congo.
Lambert Mende told reporters Monday that Congolese authorities have "confirmed with certainty" that the rebels are backed by Rwanda and are planning to launch a fresh offensive.
There was no immediate reaction from Rwanda, though the country has vigorously denied that it provides support and training to the M23 rebels. A United Nations group of experts, though, says that evidence shows Rwanda backs the rebels.
The M23 fighters launched their rebellion last year and briefly held Goma — a city of some 1 million people — about a year ago.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
While the roads were looking clearer Friday morning in the Albuquerque area, appearances can be deceiving
Today's top headlines with Matt Mauro and Elizabeth Alvarez. Weather with Meteorologist Kristen Van Dyke
In nearly seven decades spent fighting for freedom and equality, Nelson Mandela inspired and challenged the world to stand up for others. As word of Mandela's death spread, current and former presidents, athletes and entertainers, and …
Four and a half years after he went to prison, former state senate leader Manny Aragon is out.
A suspected meth kingpin the FBI thought might be hiding out in New Mexico has been captured.
The popular Capulin Snow Play Area near Sandia Peak will be closed for the second year in a row.