THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — Former Liberian president Charles Taylor, who was convicted for sponsoring atrocities in Sierra Leone, will serve his 50-year sentence in a British prison, Justice Minister Jeremy Wright announced Thursday in a letter to Parliament.
Taylor, 65, is the first former head of state convicted by an international war crimes court since World War II.
The Special Court for Sierra Leone found him guilty in April 2012 of 11 counts of war crimes and crimes against humanity including terrorism, murder, rape and using child soldiers. His conviction and sentence were upheld at appeal last month.
In his letter to Parliament, Wright called Taylor's conviction, "a landmark moment for international justice." He did not identify the prison where Taylor would be confined.
In the Liberian capital, Monrovia, Taylor's brother-in-law Arthur Saye said Taylor should serve his sentence in Rwanda like other rebels convicted by the Sierra Leone court.
"Mr. Taylor is an African; he's someone who believes in eating his African foods and what have you," Saye said.
"And what happened took place in Africa; yes, they tried him in another country, but why must he be subjected to serve his term in a white man's country?"
Saye expressed fears for the former warlord-turned-president's safety if he is imprisoned in Britain.
The court's president, Judge George Gelaga King, said in a written order dated Oct. 4 and released Thursday that in choosing a British prison he took account of Taylor's family situation and the ability of other possible states to ensure his physical safety.
Associated Press writer Jonathan Paye-Layleh contributed to this report from Monrovia, Liberia.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Police said a homeowner and his 11-year-old son stopped two burglars dead in their tracks. They walked in on the alleged heist, but weren't about to let the suspected thieves get away with it, and they got creative with the way they …
What happened to one of four local officers shot in a dramatic October chase now has the attention of city, county, and even state lawmakers as they discuss proposing a policy that would ensure she will be the last first responder to get …
Albuquerque police have now identified the suspect shot by officers on Sunday, and he's a man whose past includes at least one fight with police and several other violent incidents.
A Sheriff's Deputy who was fired for forging a certificate of completion for a training course she did not complete caught a break from the New Mexico Law Enforcement Academy Board.
It's been 11 years since a woman was buried alive after a tractor-trailer full of sand turned over onto her car.
Roswell has seen a major increase in burglaries this year and a lack of officers might be to blame.