LAS CRUCES, N.M. (KRQE) - New Mexico State Police are investigating a deadly officer-involved shooting in southern New Mexico involving a murder suspect.
Las Cruces Police say they were looking for Nathaniel Montoya, 23, in connection with the death of a 29-year-old man found unconscious Friday night.
Witnesses reported they saw some sort of fight happen between the two.
Police say Saturday afternoon, officers spotted the suspect's vehicle in the Las Colinas area. They say Montoya was the driver and failed to stop for officers, which sparked a high-speed chase throughout the city.
Eventually, police say Montoya crashed his van into vehicles at a gas station on Lohman Ave. They say at least one officer fired several rounds, killing Montoya.
Police say a pedestrian was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
At this time police are not releasing the name of the officer involved.
________________Send a Breaking News TipReport an error or typoLearn about the KRQE apps
- Sunport officials remind travelers about their parking options
- Utility project restricts traffic on Montgomery between Louisiana, San Mateo
- Task force fails to back Santa Fe public bank idea
- Vietnam veterans to be honored at Santa Fe National Cemetery
- Proposed UNM tuition increase to benefit student safety