The 28-pageGreen Job Guidebook is a resource for job seekers, students,guidance counselors, career advisors, policy makers and anyone elseinterested in knowing about the tremendous potential of NewMexico’s existing and growing green job marketplace.
The guidebook contains an index of current and potential greenjobs in New Mexico, how green jobs are a pathway out of poverty,about green job apprenticeship programs offered by unions andutility companies, government-sponsored green job placementassistance, green job programs at New Mexico colleges anduniversities, and what a green career pathway map is.
This guidebook was developed by Governor Richardson’sGreen Jobs Cabinet to provide an accessible overview to green jobsin New Mexico. This guidebook will be updated periodically toinclude new information.
What is a Green Job?
Green jobs are family-supporting, career-track jobs thatdirectly contribute to preserving or enhancing environmentalquality.
In New Mexico, this means jobs in areas as diverse as:
- renewable energy
- smart/green electricity grids
- energy efficiency and green building
- clean technology manufacturing
- low-carbon transportation
- air and water quality
- sustainable agriculture
It is important to include all jobs in these industries, fromthe specialized scientists and technicians through human resourcesand accounting professionals. It also includes people working onenergy efficiency and other environmental goals in allindustries.
The Potential of Green Jobs in New Mexico
- The American Solar Energy Society estimates that the renewable energy and energy efficiency industries could create 37 million new jobs in the US by 2030. New Mexico’s share of that would be 236,800 jobs.¹
- The Solar Energy Industry Association anticipates 19,000 new jobs created in New Mexico by 2016 in the solar industry alone.² This is the highest per capita gain in the country.
- The Center for American Progress calculates that New Mexico’s share of a $100B “Green Recovery” federal stimulus package would create 13,717 jobs.³
- Renewable energy generates 40% more jobs per unit of energy than coal power.4 There are now more wind energy jobs in the United States than coal mining jobs.5
- Green jobs are generally well paid, place-based and difficult to lose to foreign competition
More information can be found at: http://www.edd.state.nm.us/greenEconomy/greenJobs/index.html
The Sunland Peanut Company just can’t seem to catch a break.
Some Albuquerque kindergartners are pitching in to help some needy kids.
A federal jury continues to deliberate the fate of John McCluskey.
A winter storm bared down across New Mexico on Thursday, causing snowpacked icy roads, closures, and a series of crashes, one that critically injured a sergeant.
KRQE Sports has learned that a developmental soccer team is coming to Albuquerque. The Albuquerque Sol FC will be affiliated with Major League Soccer.
KRQE News 13 is hosting a phone bank for Toys for Tots! To help and make a donation please call 505-768-2299 between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. Thursday.