Emergency resources, latest fire updates, Red Cross database, …
Smoke from the Horseshoe Two Fire in southeastern Arizona seen from Animas, N.M. Submitted to KRQE.com ReportIt! by Danielle Lasher.
Updated: Thursday, 09 Jun 2011, 9:49 AM MDT
Published : Thursday, 09 Jun 2011, 9:48 AM MDT
SANTA FE (KRQE) - The New Mexico Veterinary Medical Association recommends that people keep their pets inside and close windows and doors as much as possible to limit exposure to smoke from wildfires.
The group issued a statement Wednesday about potential health problems for animals because of smoke from a large wildfire in eastern Arizona.
The association recommended restricting exercise for pets and said plenty of water should be provided for animals to ensure they keep their airways moist.
Smoke exposure can cause coughing, breathing difficulties as well as watery and itchy eyes in animals. Old and obese pets should be closely watched for health problems.
The association also cautioned New Mexicans to be particularly careful around wildlife, which can be confused and startled by smoky conditions.