Emergency resources, latest fire updates, Red Cross database, …
Updated: Friday, 01 Jul 2011, 8:52 AM MDT
Published : Friday, 01 Jul 2011, 8:07 AM MDT
LOS ALAMOS, N.M. (KRQE) - Firefighters continue to gain ground on the Las Conchas fire in Los Alamos with still no word yet on when residents will be able to return home. A noon press conference Friday will provide more information.
The thousands of evacuated Los Alamos residents will have to wait a few more days before they can return home.
Fire Chief Doug Tucker says conditions are so dry that the wildfire was burning downed trees that were scorched in the huge Cerro Grande fire in 2000. The fire also burned through moisture-rich aspen trees above Los Alamos.
The good news for Los Alamos residents is that there has been no looting reported so far.
National guardsmen on ATVs are riding through neighborhoods looking for possible trouble.
The Los Alamos police chief says they've found a few people driving these empty neighborhoods that did not belong. Anyone who wants in and out of town must show identification and be on a list at one of the checkpoints manned by the National Guard and state police.
Police say the patrols will continue around the clock.
The acres burned are currently at 93,678 and there are approximately 1,201 personnel including six hotshot crews and 25 handcrews fighting the fire with 3% containment.