Updated: Monday, 22 Mar 2010, 11:32 AM MDT
Published : Saturday, 20 Mar 2010, 10:56 PM MDT
LAS CRUCES (KRQE) - On Saturday, "America’s Most Wanted" shined a national spotlight on the 20-year-old Las Cruces bowling alley murders that left four people dead and began the hunt for two killers.
On Feb. 10, 1990, seven people were shot at a popular bowling alley in Las Cruces. Two of the victims who died were sisters--Valerie Terán, 2, and Paula Terán, 6--who died along with their father, Steve Terán, and Amy Houser, 13.
Las Cruces detectives said two Hispanic men, now known only by a couple of sketches, shot the employees and children execution style. Police said the men then ran off with $4,000-$5,000.
Lead Detective Mark Myers said the department has followed every lead that’s been tossed their way. They started with the countless fingerprints taken from the murder scene.
“They processed the whole bowling alley,” Myers said.
When detectives eliminated all possible suspects they moved on to more than a 1,000 call in tips since 1990. Myers said some of tips were the names of potential suspects.
However, they were all ruled out after detectives discovered some of those named had died before the shootings and others were already locked up.
It’s been 20 years since the murders took place and detectives have still not made a single arrest.
Still, Myers said the case is far from cold. Last month, a documentary generated renewed interest.
“We've had tips as late as last week,” Myers said.
Saturday night the horrific details were given new life when America’s Most Wanted televised it to the nation.
“Undoubtedly it will bring in new leads,” Myer said. He hopes one of the new leads will be the tip that solves the case and brings peace to a community still mourning two decades later.
The title of the documentary is "A Nightmare In Las Cruces." It was released last month on the 20th anniversary of the murders.